Sunday, December 21, 2008

Evelyn Waugh

When I was a boy, Brideshead Re-visited was aired for the first time on American TV. It smelled a little queer, but for whatever reason, probably my family mocking me, I never got to see it. I recently rented it and loved it. How much did I love it you ask? Well I was inspired to write a song loosely built around it, lines from it, and the seemingly hyper Christianity of some of its main characters. I've named it after its author. I've also added some sexy shots of Jeremy Irons from the movie. Why not!






Evelyn Waugh

Verse One

Why it is that love makes me
Hate the world?
Is it a conspiracy…
I will never ever understand?
Or is it just somehow above me?
I feel as if all mankind
And god too
Are having some kind
Of cruel joke at my expense
And it’s just not what I would call Christian

Chorus

I am in an amorous stupor



Verse Two

Have I really succumbed to this?
Such horror!
Soul meets soul on lover’s lips
I would rather climb the highest peek
Than to fall clumsily in love
Now I can’t even dress myself
It’s a shame
I have become someone else
Quoting Shelley, Keats and Neruda
God save me, from my own pretension

Chorus

Bridge

I never thought that it would be me
Rambling, pathetic mess
I never thought that it could be me
Going on and on…
And on and on and on…
And on!



Verse Three

Kindly put me out of my
Misery
If you really must know why
Simply look at what I have become
It just simply ain’t a pretty site
La la la la…


I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.
Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.
Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day
I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.

Neruda

No comments: